Monday, December 22, 2014

uga/auburn...and the makings of a good story ;)

When the UGA/Auburn game time was changed to 7:15pm and the temps were projected to be very low, I think both B and I were okay to curl up by the Links' fire and enjoy watching from home. However, Gehrig wouldn't hear of it, so we layered up and headed to Athens.  Meanwhile, the girls stayed with the Links (so thankful!), because it would have been miserable for them and us! :)


Met up with the Watsons to sell programs for FCA!  It is the first time we've seen them there this year and honestly the reason I chose to go along :)


From the stands...it was pretty cold, but not as bad as we thought because of so many people packed in...



Loved having time with the Clantons too!  We are getting spoiled with good visits with them the past few months :))




And Lyle joined us all too for the 4th quarter!  What a sweet group of buddies...so thankful.  And the game was a fun one to watch too!


Afterwards, the 3 of us walked back to the intermural fields to head home.  It was pretty late at night and we fumbled around looking for the keys, only to realize they were locked inside.  We felt pretty helpless and climbed a nearby hill to ask a policeman for his recommendations.  Looking back down to our poor Tahoe...it would soon be left all alone on that field!


This was our view for the next hour or more, as we tried to contact locksmiths and stay warm.  There were so many things that we were grateful for throughout...and a few of them came to light at this point already.  #1-the girls weren't with us.  They would've been miserable!  #2-cell coverage has been greatly improved this year around the stadium, so we still had enough charge to google lots of numbers and make several calls.  We've rarely left a game before this year with charged phones! And #3-we had a backpack full of snacks, water, blankets and handwarmers.  Gehr had promised us that he wouldn't be cold when he initially begged us to keep our plans of going to the game.  This pushed him to the brink, but he did great ;)



The policeman ended his traffic-directing there and headed out as we waited for a bit longer.  Because all traffic is being sent out of Athens after games, no one could get to us until about 12:45am.  This precious, sweet, wonderful man pulled up then and it was all I could do not to hug him!  We never carry much cash on us, but had just been handed some from selling tix and our sweet Clanton friends were texting with us throughout and even offered to come and sit with us...just so so grateful for it all.


I wouldn't have told you that I was all that cold until we got in the car and turned on the heat.  I started shivering pretty hard and realized we had been a little bit in survival mode.  So so thankful for a warm home to sleep in every night.  We talked much that night about so many that don't have shelter and must be so cold.  :(  We stopped for some coffee and headed home to arrive about 3am.  All in all, the Lord took such care of us and kept our spirits high throughout...we kept telling each other that we were just making memories :))

Oh, and I really have to mention one more thing.  These socks probably saved me that night!  Matt was kind enough to let me use his fancy alpaca socks and I cannot tell you how amazing they are.  Even when I was so cold after finally getting back into the car, my feet were warm and cozy.  They are totally worth whatever they cost!  I should've asked for some for Christmas! :)

No comments: