Thursday, December 24, 2015

eight is great :)

This Greer-girl has more life and love for others and joy and compassion than anyone I know.  To be honest, I'm not sure where she has gotten it, but I'm so thankful.  It brightens our family time and daily lives so so much.  I find myself saying a lot that I wouldn't laugh nearly as much as I do without her...and that I'm constantly challenged by her heart :)

I found myself looking back through pictures of her a couple of days before her birthday and the big smiles in almost every one, oh my word :).  The pic that does need a little explaining here is the one in the middle at the top.  It is from her infamous encounter with some wild baby rabbits in our backyard. I'm so glad for a camera that day ;))


Some of those younger days and weeks and months were so hard with her free spirit.  Some of them are now too, but fewer and farther between.  Now, I'm mostly just in awe of watching her grow and mature and live a life that is amazingly beautiful already.  She seems to have a better handle on what is important than most adults do...and just doesn't worry about the rest.  So, cleaning her room and sitting still and fitting inside the proverbial box doesn't happen all that much ;).  But recording scripture all over her room for me to find amidst the mess?  Asking to spend her birthday money on a friend at church?  Always welcoming a new person into the fold?  Forgiving easily?  Snuggling the best ever in the morning and giving the tightest hugs anytime of the day?  She's all over those things.

Art and music and dance are still favorites...and reading and sports have been added to those.  She listens and learns lots about football and baseball to enjoy watching those with the fam and played soccer so well for the first time this fall.  She seems super growny looking all of a sudden and continues to say that she wants to be "a missionary who does hair" when she grows up.  She still struggles to fall asleep at night and spends hours in her bed reading and listening to music.  I'm praying for that to ease so that she can rest well and do better than her mama has in that area.  We are also working with her on loving her sister well...they play so well sometimes, but then other times are so very challenging.  I long for them to have the sweetest friendship, now and always.

Other loves: babies, arts-and-crafting (crocheting, felting, drawing, etc), silly picture-posing, cooking and baking, dressing up, animals, American Girl dolls, time with friends and family, writing stories, co-op, the outdoors and traveling.  She loves her time at church, worshiping there, seeing friends and learning lots. And she draws the best illustrations for her school Bible time.  She pretty much makes fun or games or crafts wherever she is...even making the most elaborate iphone and paper "apps" recently because she doesn't have a device of her own ;).  Her picture posing is the best and when she really smiles, her chin dimples are my favorite.  She's still equal parts girly and tough...brave and sensitive.  She can't handle movies that have a clear bad guy and streams tears when anything close to sad happens to anyone, real or fictional.

I pray that she continues in great love and joy, in loving the Lord and others so well, and growing in relationship with her sister and with her sleep. ;)  I also pray for godly soulmates in friendship and marriage too one day.  My mama heart hurts to think of her tenderness ever being hurt, but I know that God has great plans for her and will be faithful to complete His work in and through her.  I long to parent her well, steering her to God and others first, and maybe to a little bit of order in her life too ...without doing anything to stifle that fun spirit :).  I'm so thankful for the gift that she is to us and pray (as we do with all 3) that we love and lead her well.

For a long time, Greer's been saying that she would get her ears pierced when she turned 8.  She invited a few friends to join us and this mama gave much thanks for the easiest birthday party ever.  I can't believe how growny they looked walking ahead of us...



Checking everything out while we waited for her turn...


She was a little more nervous than we all expected...so thankful for these sweet girls and their encouragement :)



All done!  She was so still and brave :))


Now for a little silliness before we headed out for dinner and a treat ;))










 Greer's request...who needs birthday cake? :))



Such a fun, fun outing with the best girl age so far.  Sweet and silly and hilarious, but also not too big to want B and me around.  Loved every minute :)

Finishing up the night with our annual birthday eve pics...



Pink flower light for the love :))


Happy #8 to our Greer Elizabeth...thank you for being you.  We love you so much!!

No comments: