Thursday, October 11, 2012

Hubby Post :)

Lots of years ago, I met a cute baseball player with the sweetest spirit.  We talked with such ease for hours the very first night he called (and have every day since :)).  But he didn't know the Lord and we were both were broken from our family splits, so there was a lot to work out.  A few months later, he accepted Christ at church and started spending time in Bible study with other believers on his team.  We spent the next 4-5 years asking tough questions to each other about faith and marriage and family and commitment.  His patience with me was (and continues to be!) Job-like, as he taught me to be more relaxed, trusting and compassionate while I may have influenced his intentionality and timeliness.  :)  

We both still have so much to learn and so many areas where we need work, but I cannot help but recount God's faithfulness as I look back on what He has done in our lives.  It's amazing to see how He orchestrates the right people to come along for each of us to teach us and draw us closer to Him.  From B's Bible study groups in college to FCA's ministry in our lives to amazing and godly couples that we call best friends...my heart is full of thanks and praise to Him!

Given all of that, it's an awesome privilege to see others notice strong character, humility and godliness in the man that I continually watch growing more into Christ-likeness.  I've been front and center as the testimony of B's life has gone from being lost to leading our family to follow God with selflessness and strength.  He is still the sweetest guy I know, but now with a heart that fully desires to live for Christ in all that he does.  

After being nominated and then involved in a summer of discussions and interviews, B was ordained as a deacon in our church in September.  Although I've been in the Baptist church my whole life, I wasn't all that familiar with what exactly that entailed.  As we have learned the past few months though, I love the place they hold in the church as servant-leaders and can't imagine a better role for B.  And the sweet group of men and wives already serving at our church have been so wonderful to us...their encouragement and support of B and our family is soul-refreshing and serves to build him up in a way that makes my heart swell (Eph 4:29).

I've learned through our involvement with FCA that serving precedes growth.  Sometimes we assume that we have to have it all figured out and be fully "grown" to be in a place of leadership or service, but I think many times it can be the other way around.  I've seen much growth in B through the past 11 years of leading his campus' FCA and I already see a change in his sense of responsibility and commitment to our church family from this call to serve.  I look forward to what God will do in and through B and our family...it's truly humbling and such an honor to work for Him!

They held a sweet, moving ordination service with worship, words from our Pastor, a time of introduction for the new deacons and the laying-on of hands and prayer by other deacons...




His girls were so proud of him! :)


A family shot at the reception afterwards...makes me crack up to see the disheveled-ness of real life here :)


Because he isn't one to call attention to himself, we didn't send out a big invite or want to make anyone feel obligated to come.  We mainly just told our parents, any local family and a couple friends.  Bebe was so nice to make the drive even though traveling is not her favorite thing to do, especially at night.  Thank you!


(Love that a friend captured this too as she was taking the pic of us with Bebe...another real life moment.   This time, Garner pitching a fit because B and I put her down for the pic, haha :))


Pa was proud :) and told Uncle James, Aunt Doris and Uncle Dwight too.  They were adorable and so sweet to come.


And Mammaw, Pots and some Augusta Bournes :)


Sweet conversation...


Our kids love Haley B!


Playing while the grownups talk...


And a pic with our sweet neighbors who came, but didn't get a pic with him at the church.  Love them!


I am so proud of him and grateful for a husband who desires to know the Lord and honor Him with his life. (It's an added bonus that I just like him a lot too :))  Thank You, Lord, for showing me Your love through a husband's love and sacrifice.  Please lead and guide us so that our lives may be pleasing to You!  

No comments: