Friday, January 6, 2017

9yo greer

Oh Greer!  She brings such life and happy to our family.  I truly don't know that I've ever met anyone with a more tender heart, a freer spirit or a more genuine smile.  She easily laughs and loves and shows grace...and rarely lets much bother her.  She is fearless and fun and adventurous, artsy and creative in so many ways and outdoorsy and athletic like her brother.

Some of her creativity comes out in her crafting.  She continues to crochet and felt, and has added a little bit of beginner sewing to the mix.  She's recently expressed interest in cross-stitching too :).  She talks less about "Greer-world" then she did a year ago, but I think it still exists...and she loves art and drawing and making her own creations from lego sets.  Her closet shelves that used to have "rooms" set up for her dolls have now been replaced with multiple areas of constructed legos.  She will stay in her closet for hours, playing and making new things with them.

This year, she has transitioned a good bit away from anything girly...and wants to wear athletic clothing at all times.  Although I was the same way as a girl (and still prefer to be comfy most days ;)), we are trying to also teach the importance of looking somewhat presentable at times haha.  She loves sports and can hang pretty well with Gehrig.  She loves to climb and play in our big bradford pear in the backyard and will spend hours reading on a limb whenever she can.  Her other big reading time is at night after we've put them to bed as she still doesn't fall asleep quickly and has a bit of a library set up with all of her favorites in the bunk slats right above her :).

Her favorite books are the "Christian Heroes Then & Now" series. And we love that she loves them. :)  I can't help but feel like they have helped inspire her continued plan to be a missionary when she is grown.  This year, she's tweaked it a little to say that she wants to be "a missionary who writes books and crochets on the weekend."  I can't imagine anything more perfect for her :).  Even close to home, she is so comfortable jumping right into gospel conversation with anyone she meets.  She looks so burdened and concerned to hear that someone doesn't know Jesus or go to church.  How I pray that her heart continues to be so passionate for the Gospel and the lost!  She's added more scripture memory this year as she's aged into the Bible thrills program and I can't wait to watch her recite and declare His truth there.

She also says that she'd like to spend some time in her younger adult years as an Olympic equestrian and is saving her money for horse camp next summer ;).  She LOVES animals and has the perfect new job situation this year, taking care of our neighbor's dog, Georgia...even going over to spend time with her on days that she isn't "working."  She continues to beg for a pet, any pet, but Mama still isn't sure about bringing one on.  In the meantime, she and her buddies (especially Marielle) spend lots of their free time playing with as many stuffed animals as we will let them have :).  

Her closest buddies are Marielle, Madi and Wiley...and we have been so thankful for the opportunity to get to know several other sweet girlfriends in the past few months too.  I'm not sure how she will do with girl drama or the inevitable mean-girl situations as she gets older, but I so pray for her heart in it all.  I hope so much for her that she always has one or two sweet friends in her life that don't get into all of that...and that she doesn't herself either!

She's tall, almost wearing my clothes and shoes already, loves babies and is so so good with littles, has a huge vocabulary from her reading that cracks me up constantly, and can't stand to brush her tangly hair.  Low-maintenance, a great (and super-fast!) eater and still snuggly with her mama and daddy.  Oh, and she loves listening to music, mostly Christian rap from Gehrig's influence :)).  

Our prayers for her at the moment are for a heart for her sister (it is the one hard place she seems to struggle with constantly) and good, hard work in school.  She is doing great in 3rd grade, but we know we're entering harder and harder academics and bigger school loads that will require good focus and diligence.  Her favorite subjects at the moment are reading and history.  And she still needs a quarterly room clean-out to get rid of all the trash that accumulates.  But when it comes to what matters, I'm pretty sure that she has a better handle on it most days than all of the rest of us here combined.  I'm beyond thankful for her influence on my life and can't imagine our lives without her joy.

I so love you, my first Babygirl, and thank God all the time for the gift of being your mom.  Happy happy 9th birthday!  I hope it's your best year yet!!








No comments: